About this book
The book called Obadiah is in the
God gives to Obadiah a message for the
punish Edom’s people
This is the message from the
We have heard what God said.
And someone has taken a message to the countries.
‘Stand up and fight against
‘I will make you small among other people.
They will think that you are not worth anything.
You live in a place that is difficult to reach.
Your home is high up in a place among rocks.
You say to yourself,
“Nobody can reach us up here.”
And you may make your home in the highest places among the stars.
But I will bring you down from there,’ says the
‘Men might come in the night
to take away what is yours.
(Oh, what a very bad thing will happen to you!)
But they would not take everything.
If people came to take fruit from your trees,
they would leave some fruit on the tree.
They will even take the valuable things that you hide.
will push you out from your country.
They will tell you what is not true. You will believe them.
They will be stronger than you
because you will believe their words.
They will make a
‘Some men in
Some men in the mountains know what is good. (These are the mountains where Esau’s people live.) But I will kill those men.
Esau’s people live in the mountains. And everyone there will die.
God will make you ashamed because of this and you will die.
Verse 10 The people in
You thought that you were better than they. But you were wrong to think that.
You should not have been happy when the people in Judah were dying.
You should not have been happy when they were in trouble.
You did that at the time when they were in trouble.
You should not have thought that you were better than they.
You thought it at the time when they were in trouble.
You should not have taken what was theirs.
You wanted to kill those that ran away from the enemy.
That is why you waited there.
You should not have done that.
You should not have taken them to the enemy.
The Day of the
LORD and what will happen then
God will do to you what you did to other people.
God will be angry with you because you did those things to them.
The Day of the
In the same way, people from all countries will drink and they will not stop.
They will drink until God has killed them.
It will be special to me.
Jacob’s family will have the country that is theirs.
I will give it to them.
This is what the
In verses 16-18, God is not speaking to the
The people from
People will come from the small hills near the mountain. And they will get the
They will live in the fields in Ephraim and Samaria.
Benjamin’s people will get Gilead.
but they now have to live with the
They will get the country as far as Zarephath.
Some people lived in Jerusalem, but now they have to be in Sepharad.
They will get the towns in the Negev.
and they will rule over
And that country will belong to the
God says that he will give to Judah’s people the country that belonged to their enemies. God does not forget his people. He does not forget what their enemies did. And he will kill all their enemies. God says that he will save his people and he will make them strong again.
- what you feel when you are angry.
- people that lived in Israel before the
Jewsdid. The country was called Canaan then.
- the group of people that were from Esau’s family; the country where those people lived; another name that people gave to Esau.
- people from Israel; people from Jacob’s family (his children, grandchildren and so on);
- people that are born from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (their children, grandchildren and so on).
- a special name for God that his people use. It means that he does not change. He is always God. He will do what he has promised to do. That is what this name means.
- Old Testament
- the first part in the Bible. The writers wrote that part before Jesus lived on earth.
- people that lived in a country next to Israel.
- to hurt someone because of wrong things that they have done.
- something that people use to catch an animal by surprise; or something that makes things difficult for a person by surprise.
- to tell someone that something is dangerous; to say that something (usually something bad) will happen.
- another name for Jerusalem; or a special hill at Jerusalem.
Dr. J. I. Packer & Derek Williams ~ The Bible Application Handbook ~ Eagle Publishing
The Spirit filled Life Bible ~ NKJV
The NIV Study Bible ~ NIV
© Wycliffe Associates (UK), 1997-2012
This version published February 2012
The translated Bible text has been through Advanced Checking.